The revolutionary. The Magician brand archetype is an innovator, creating remarkable things seemingly from thin air. They are masters of transformation, frequently reinventing themselves. They’re capable of turning a negative into a positive, but they can also do the reverse.
The core of the magician brand is transformation. Like the rebel, they challenge the status quo. They often combine disparate elements or items to create something new, shocking, useful or entertaining. The magician brand often, but not always, has a reputation for having access to restricted knowledge, interesting expertise or seeming prescience.
If you want our senior brand strategist, Mash, to coach you to create the right archetypal mix for your brand, schedule a 1-hour strategy coaching session!
Brand Promise: Uncommon knowledge
Goal: Make dreams come true.
Strategy: Develop a compelling vision.
Personality to project: The catalyst, the innovator, the inventor.
Ideal Customer: Customers who are loyal to this brand archetype need to feel as if they’ve grown smarter, wiser or just plain better from using the brand’s products or services value. These folks are valuable customers to have because they provide word of mouth advertising.
Can be perceived as too off the wall or eccentric. But if the brand strategy focuses on evocative marketing infused with enigma, then this archetype can be quite effective.
Eccentricity is not always a bad thing. Look at the Virgin brand to see how they used that persona to maximum impact!
Suggested Color Palette
This is just a suggested palette. Colors should be selected based on a robust brand strategy and should be part of the brand identity development.
On the surface, there’s not much to Mary Kay. They sell cosmetics and skin care products. But under the hood, they provide a potentially lucrative business opportunity. Their slogan, Enriching women’s lives, speaks to this. Of course, the products themselves offer transformation—younger looking skin, blemishes that vanish, etc.
Snickers’ recent ads, with their ‘You’re not you when you’re hungry,’ tagline, elevate the brand from a mere confection to a cultural phenom. The ads suggest that the candy bars have some eerie transformational power. Of course, the transformational ‘power’ here is sugar. But the messaging is clear. The implication is clear too: you’ll be a better you with some Snickers in you.
Dyson took something rather boring—the vacuum cleaner—and turned it on its ear. In so doing, it became a household name. A vacuum cleaner that improves upon the tried and true standard design is indeed a magic trick.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can my brand help customers feel they have grown smarter, wiser, or better after using our products or services?
To make your customers feel like they have grown smarter, wiser, or better after using your products or services in alignment with the Magician archetype, consider the following strategies:
1. Educate your Customers:
- Provide valuable and insightful content that helps customers better understand your industry, product, or service. This could be through blog posts, webinars, tutorials, or product packaging and instructions.
- Establish your brand as a thought leader in your industry. Publish original research, insights, or innovations related to your field.
2. Enhance their Skills or Abilities:
- Design your products or services to help customers improve skills, become more efficient, or solve complex problems. Show how using your product can lead to personal or professional growth.
- Offer additional resources like workshops, coaching sessions, or interactive tools that help customers get more value from your product or service.
3. Create Transformative Experiences:
- Make the customer journey an experience of transformation. Show how your product or service can lead to significant positive changes in their lives. Use storytelling in your marketing to illustrate this transformation.
- Use customer testimonials and case studies to show real-life examples of how your brand has helped others grow smarter, wiser, or better.
4. Foster a Community of Learners:
- Create a community platform where customers can learn from each other, share their experiences, and grow together. This could be a forum, social media group, or community event.
- Encourage customers to share their stories of growth and transformation. Recognize and celebrate these stories to inspire others in the community.
By implementing these strategies, your brand can embody the Magician archetype and help customers feel they have grown smarter, wiser, or better from using your products or services.
What compelling vision can I develop that aligns with the goal of making dreams come true?
Developing a compelling vision that aligns to make dreams come true through the Magician archetype involves creating a narrative that emphasizes transformation, innovation, and potential realization.
Here are some considerations to guide your process:
1. Define Transformation:
- Your brand vision should articulate a clear transformation you want your customers to experience. This could be professional growth, personal development, or a significant improvement in their lives. The transformation should be tangible, relatable, and inspiring.
2. Highlight Innovation:
- As a Magician brand, your vision should reflect your commitment to innovation. This could be about leveraging technology, pioneering new methods, or offering disruptive solutions. Show how your brand’s innovative approach can help turn dreams into reality.
3. Emphasize Empowerment:
- Empowerment is a key theme for the Magician archetype. Your vision should convey how your brand equips customers with the tools, knowledge, or capabilities they need to achieve their dreams.
4. Inspire with Possibilities:
- A compelling vision presents a future full of possibilities. It should inspire customers to dream big and believe in their potential. Describe how your brand can help them reach their aspirations.
5. Make it Personal:
- While your vision should be broad enough to encompass your brand’s overall direction, it should also resonate with customers on a personal level. Make sure your vision reflects the dreams and aspirations of your target audience.
For example, if your brand is in the technology sector, your vision could be “Empowering individuals and businesses to realize their dreams through innovative technology solutions.”
This vision clearly defines the transformation (empowerment through technology), highlights innovation (innovative technology solutions), emphasizes empowerment (empowering individuals and businesses), inspires with possibilities (realize their dreams), and is personal enough to resonate with your target audience.
How can my brand convey the personality traits of a catalyst, innovator, or inventor?
Conveying the personality traits of a catalyst, innovator, or inventor, as seen in the Magician archetype, requires your brand to embody transformation, creativity, and forward-thinking.
Here are some strategies to achieve this:
1. Showcase Innovative Products or Services:
- Your products or services are the most direct representation of your brand. Make sure they reflect innovation and creativity. If possible, incorporate cutting-edge technology, unique design, or a novel approach in your offerings.
2. Foster a Culture of Innovation:
- Conveying the personality of an innovator goes beyond products and services. It also includes your brand’s internal culture. Promote an environment that encourages experimentation, learning, and creative problem-solving. Share stories and updates about your internal innovation initiatives with the public.
3. Share Stories of Transformation:
- As a catalyst, your brand should be seen as a force for change. Share case studies, testimonials, or stories that show how your brand has driven transformation for your customers or within your industry.
4. Thought Leadership:
- Position your brand as a thought leader in your industry. Publish insights, forecasts, and innovative ideas related to your field. This can help portray your brand as an inventor, always looking ahead and pushing boundaries.
5. Engage in Industry Events:
- Participate in industry events, such as conferences, forums, or webinars. This lets you showcase your expertise, share innovative ideas, and connect with other innovators. You could also host your events centered around innovation and transformation.
6. Use Innovative Branding and Marketing:
- Your branding and marketing strategies can also reflect your innovative personality. This could be through unique branding elements, innovative marketing campaigns, or leveraging the latest marketing technologies and platforms.
By implementing these strategies, your brand can effectively convey the personality traits of a catalyst, innovator, or inventor as seen in the Magician archetype.
How can I ensure my brand doesn’t appear too eccentric or off the wall while maintaining its unique appeal?
Maintaining a balance between the unique, transformative appeal of the Magician archetype and not coming across as too eccentric requires thoughtful brand strategy and careful messaging.
Here are some steps you can take:
1. Understand Your Audience:
- The first step is to understand your target audience thoroughly. What are their needs, preferences, and expectations? While some audiences may appreciate a highly eccentric approach, others prefer more grounded, pragmatic messaging. Use customer insights to inform your brand strategy.
2. Ground Innovations in Customer Needs:
- While your brand should highlight its innovative, transformative qualities, ensure that these are always tied back to real, tangible benefits for the customer. This can help prevent your brand from seeming too abstract or disconnected from reality.
3. Consistent, Clear Communication:
- Consistency in brand messaging and clear communication can help maintain a balance. While your brand may have innovative ideas, ensure the message isn’t lost in overly complex or cryptic language. Keep messaging simple, clear, and accessible.
4. Use Storytelling:
- Storytelling can be a powerful tool to humanize your brand and make it more relatable. Share stories of how your brand has helped customers, the journey of your innovations, or the real-world impact of your transformative ideas.
5. Balance Innovation with Trust:
- Trust is critical for any brand. While showcasing your brand’s unique appeal, emphasize aspects that build trust, such as reliability, quality, customer service, and transparency.
6. Seek Feedback and Adapt:
- Regularly seek customer feedback and be willing to adapt your approach based on this feedback. If your audience finds certain aspects of your brand too eccentric, consider how you can adjust while still maintaining your unique appeal.
By following these steps, you can ensure your brand doesn’t come across as too eccentric or off the wall while maintaining the Magician archetype’s unique appeal.
What strategies can I implement to make my brand appear as a master of transformation and innovation, challenging the status quo?
Implementing the Magician archetype to make your brand appear as a master of transformation and innovation, challenging the status quo, involves several strategies:
1. Showcase Transformational Products/Services:
- Your products and services should embody transformation. They should offer unique, innovative solutions that significantly improve or change how your customers do things. Show how your offerings break away from traditional norms and bring something new and exciting to the table.
2. Emphasize Innovation:
- Highlight your brand’s commitment to innovation, whether it’s through product development, business processes, or technological advancements. Demonstrate how your brand is continuously evolving, learning, and pushing boundaries.
3. Be a Thought Leader:
- Position your brand as a thought leader in your industry. Share original insights, trends, and ideas that challenge conventional wisdom. This can be done through blogs, podcasts, webinars, social media, and speaking engagements.
4. Foster a Culture of Innovation:
- Encourage a company culture that values creativity, experimentation, and risk-taking. Share stories about your internal innovation initiatives and successes. This can inspire your customers and stakeholders and reinforce your image as a transformative brand.
5. Use Transformative Branding:
- Your brand’s visual identity, tone of voice, and messaging should reflect its transformative nature. This could be through innovative design elements, creative storytelling, or inspiring taglines emphasizing transformation and growth.
6. Engage in Collaborative Innovation:
- Collaborate with other innovative brands, startups, or academic institutions. This can result in unique, transformative projects that elevate your brand’s status as an innovator.
7. Commit to Social Impact:
- Show how your brand is not only transforming your industry but also making a positive impact on society or the environment. This adds a deeper level of transformation and demonstrates a commitment to wider change.
By implementing these strategies, your brand can successfully project itself as a master of transformation and innovation, effectively challenging the status quo, in line with the Magician archetype.