According to an oft-quoted story, famed psychiatrist Sigmund Freud was once asked if there were a branch of the mind that he didn’t understand. He replied: The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is “What does a woman want?”
Freud should have asked the shopkeeper next door. Business owners who market to women must answer this question correctly almost every day. Here are a few tips for creating a small businesses experience that will keep female customers coming back.
- Create a sense of community. Women are the caretakers of relationships in our society, at least partly because they are so good at maintaining that all important social context. If you want to reach female customers, make sure you have a well rounded social networking presence. You also may want to try offering group classes that are related to your product and even tutorials on how to use them. Last, make your store a fun place to meet and socialize. Women are likely to return to a place where they meet new friends and generally have fun.
- Offer great service. Women are more likely to notice that your cashier didn’t say thank you or that they never received a tracking number on the article they ordered. They also are the most likely to struggle with heavy packages or to need help getting purchases to their cars. Train your employees to anticipate these needs and offer a helping hand. Your customers will return to a place where the shopping experience was made comfortable and easy. I have seen this implemented beautifully by one of our winery logo & branding clients who have captured the hearts of their female target market.
- Make them feel special. Everyone wants to feel like an A-lister, but most companies seem intent on treating their customers like nobodies. You don’t have to roll a red carpet; try saying hello and asking them about their day as they walk in the door. You’d be surprised at how far a simple smile will take you!
- Offer multiple gift options. Women tend to be in charge of procuring, wrapping, and sending gifts in the family home. Offering gift packs, gift cards, and several gift options for them will not only increase your sales, it will make them see you company as a problem solver in their lives. Remember to offer services such as wrapping, packing, mailing, and delivery so they can get all of their gift services in one place.
- Reach out to their children. Regardless of the social class and unique aspects of the women who comprise your target group, there is a good chance that your female customers have children and/or grandchildren. If you have ever shopped with children, then you know that they can really complicate a shopping trip. Offering small accommodations, such as a small play area or a candy dish, can help appease these tiny ones so their mom can get a little shopping done. If your customer has to leave your shop to deal with a bored or poorly behaved child, you have just lost a sale.