If you are running an e-commerce website, mobile sales are probably not the main part of your business. However, mobile sales can be an excellent way to supplement your normal website sales and also to bring in a whole new customer base. Here are a few tips for making the most of your mobile sales, even if they are not the mainstay of your e-commerce website.
- Create a mobile option. While mobile device sales are still relatively low in the e-commerce world, many smartphone and tablet owners are indeed shopping on their device. It’s a great way to use time efficiently and get errands done while stuck in traffic or waiting in line (or bored at your office desk). Many people are not buying from their mobile, but a large percentage is doing pre-sale research on prices and options. Ensure that your ecommerce website has a mobile-friendly component and that it comes up in mobile searches on common search engines such as Bing and Google.
- Incorporate mobile into marketing. Many people are relying more and more on their mobile devices, using them to at least partially replace personal computers and landline telephones. Marketing through a mobile can be very effective. Include fields for mobile phone numbers on your sign up and check out pages. Allow email users to opt in for receiving text messages with coupons and announcements. With people using their cell phones and tablets for just about every conceivable purpose, you cannot afford to ignore the media in your marketing.
- Know your market. The amount of effort that you invest into mobile sales and marketing should be tailored to your market. Some older markets do not use their mobile devices very often, while adolescents practically live on their iPhones and Androids. Know how your market is using their mobile devices, how often, and what types of devices they prefer. This will help you to prioritize mobile applications appropriately.
- Keep up with innovations. You probably think the ecommerce world changes by the second, but the mobile commerce world is changing even more quickly. It is still a relatively new technology and thus is being developed at a much higher rate than other online fields.
- Test and revise. As with all aspects of your ecommerce website empire, the only way to know what works for you is to experiment with new technologies and see how they are received. Keep track of how many referrals, sales, and clicks are generated by mobile devices versus traditional internet. Look especially at trends; if your mobile sales are doubling every two months, it may be worth your investment to work on this area even if it is not very lucrative at this moment.
- Keep perspective. If your ecommerce website is like most, mobile sales and marketing are not the main part of your business. Keep your investment reasonable for your expected return. Continue to give your ecommerce website top priority when it comes to time, monetary investment, and innovations. A recent study found that almost a quarter of mobile device shoppers have cursed at their device during a shopping experience, and another found that online website receive on average 2% of their income from this avenue.