Your website header is probably one of the most important parts of your ecommerce web design. It is the first place that a large proportion of your customers will look when they land on your website. Further, because a header is usually present in some form on multiple web pages, it can either make or break your site aesthetics. Here are a few simple tips for making sure your website header is the best it can be.
- Stick with your brand. Because this may be the first time customers are interacting with your company, your header is a valuable opportunity to make that all-important first impression. Your header should be an unmistakable part of your ecommerce business brand, in color, style, and general appeal. Consider what images and wording will represent your website and also appeal to your target consumers.
- Place your name and logo front and center. Again, your header is a huge branding opportunity. Because your business name and logo design are the core elements of your brand, they should be a prominent part of your website. Giving your name and logo a marquee position will ensure that customers know exactly who they are shopping with, as well as ensuring that your brand begins to ‘stick’ in customers’ minds.
- Be informative. What core value or values are you presenting to your customer base? Why should they choose you over the competition? Because your header is the first—and, unfortunately, sometimes the last—thing that your website visitors see, you should include this information. Begin making the sale from the moment your customers land. This can be accomplished in words, images, or any other way, just so long as it is targeted to your unique market.
- Increase your scale. There was a time when headers were tiny, narrow strips at the top of the page. However, the new trend is to make them big and bold. There are several reasons for this, but the most compelling one is that the larger space is more suited to the large amount of information that a header must contain. Further, a large header is more eye-catching, and it also gives you more room to experiment with new styles and formats. Don’t be afraid to try out a bold header that take up most of your home page’s ‘above the fold’ space. Many businesses are finding that this is the most effective way. If you use a header on multiple pages, you may want to consider designing a large header for your homepage and then a smaller version for the others.
- Get creative. Boring headers are too old school to attract the modern internet customer. Don’t be afraid to get creative with colors and images or to use a fun, bold font. One of the greatest advantages of the large headers currently in fashion is that they allow you more room for experimentation. Try several different styles and see which ones work best for website – the answer just may surprise you!